Web Content Display

There are a number of monuments in Scotland dedicated to those who took part at the Great Patriotic War and the War-time Alliance between our country and Great Britain in 1941-1945. There is International Submarine Memorial in Dundee commemorating sailors who lost their lives, including a Soviet crew. The Arctic convoys memorials were built on the Orkney Islands and in the Cove, Loch Ewe. The commemorative plaque in honour of Soviet pilots was unveiled recently at the Errol airfield. You may find here information about these memorials and their exact location.

The Arctic Convoys Memorial in Cove, Loch Ewe (North-West of Scotland)

Location of the memorial

It was Loch Ewe where many convoys bound for the Soviet Union were formed during the Second World War. They would deliver important cargos such as weapons, ammunition and food supplies.  Hundreds of vessels would find shelter in the Loch Ewe; thousands of military personnel were accommodated on the shore. The defensive and harbour installations remind now of the past war times.

The monument in Cove was unveiled in 1999 thanks to the efforts of British veterans of the Arctic Сonvoys. The Consulate General of Russia in Edinburgh holds the wreath laying ceremony here every May together with veterans, local authorities and community.  The ceremonies also take place in August (to commemorate the first convoy to the Soviet Union) and in November on the Remembrance Day.

In 2014 the Russian Arctic Convoys Museum was opened in the Inverasdale School located nearby (open from April/May till October).  The information on this project is available at http://www.russianarcticconvoymuseum.co.uk/.

The Arctic Convoys Memorial in Lyness, Isle of Hoy, Orkney Islands

 

                                   

(The photograph is courtesy of Craig Taylor, “The Orcadian” newspaper)

Location of the memorial

The memorial was built on the shores of Scapa Flow that is sheltered by the ring of islands forming the Orkney archipelago.  One of the most important British naval bases was located here during the Second World War; the Navy escort would very often depart from here during the war to protect the Arctic Convoys. The memorial, being a joint Russian and Scottish project, was unveiled in 2009. The Consulate General of Russia in Edinburgh holds the wreath laying ceremony in May in Lyness together with local authorities, residents of the Orkney Islands and veterans’ organisations. Ceremony is also held in November on the Remembrance Day.

International Submarine Memorial in Dundee (East coast of Scotland)

                                          

                                               

Location of the memorial

It is an international memorial that honours the sailors of the Allied submarines based in Dundee during the Second World War who lost their lives while on patrol from their base in Dundee. The name of each submarine and the sailors names are written on the memorial stones. One of them list the names of the crew members of the Soviet Submarine V-1 under the command of the Hero of the Soviet Union Capt. 2nd rank Izrail Fisanovich.

In 1944 this Soviet crew was stationed in Dundee to receive the submarines that were to be delivered to the Soviet Union as reparation after Italy declared surrender. One of transferred submarines (former HMS Sunfish) was called V-1. V-1 left Dundee in the direction of the Soviet North Fleet base – Polyarniy on 25 July 1944. However, by the tragic accident the submarine was sunk by the British bomber while it was following the agreed route on 27 July 1944. The pilot incorrectly indicated it as a German submarine. Entire crew of fifty Soviet sailors and one British sailor – was lost.

Apart from the Soviet sailors the International Submarine Memorial commemorates names of members of the British, Norwegian and Dutch crews.  It was open in 2009.  The memorial is located near the docks used by these submarines during the Second World War. The commemorative events are held near the memorial in May on the Victory Day organised by the Consulate General of Russia in Edinburgh and in September organised by local authorities.

Commemorative plaque dedicated to the Soviet pilots at the Errol airfield (located between cities of Perth and Dundee)

                                                         

Location of the commemorative plaque

The pilots of the 1st Air Transportation Division were stationed in Scotland at the Royal Air Forces airdrome during the Second World War. Their task was to receive Albemarle military transport aircrafts supposed to be transferred to the Soviet Union and were trained to ferry these planes to the Vnukovo airdrome. The information on the Soviet pilots’ mission in Scotland can be found here.

The commemorative plaque dedicated to the Soviet pilots was unveiled near the Errol airfield entrance in May 2015 thanks to the efforts of the veterans of air fleet and airport Vnukovo, Anna Belorusova, the granddaughter of one of the Soviet pilots stationed here in 1943, and local enthusiasts.

In May 2015 at the Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre (the city of Montrose on the East coast of Scotland) the exhibition was opened dedicated to the Soviet Pilots. It is now included in the permanent exposition of the centre. The exhibition includes the contributions from the private archives and materials from the Russian Aviation Agency and the Vnukovo airport museum.

There are other memorials in Scotland that have a connection with Russia. In the village of Lendalfoot on the south-west of Scotland the memorial was opened in 2007 dedicated to the famous Russian cruiser ‘Varyag’. Furthermore, on the south-east of Scotland in the city of Earlston the statue of the poet Mikhail Lermontov was established as his ancestors had Scottish roots.